Learn to play the Darbuka with our market leading Darbuka Mastery Program
Achieve your dreams of Darbuka success with our flagship Darbuka course, the Darbuka Mastery Program. This is a world leading course that gives the Darbuka player all the skills they need to ascend to the level of Darbuka Mastery. Created by Malik Instruments. Taught and delivered by Ibraheem Malik.
Level 1: Building Strong Foundations
Master the basics of how to play the Darbuka, and start building excellent technique with some of the most famous and popular rhythms ever.
- Holding the Darbuka
- Basic Darbuka strokes (the Doum, Tek and Ka)
- Reading and understanding drum tabs
- Basic ornamentation, making rhythms more exciting
- Detailed introduction to the Maqsum family of rhythms (incl. Maqsum, Sa'idi and Baladi)
- Switching between rhythms and using a metronome to practice
- Origins & structure of the Darbuka
- Choosing a good Darbuka
- Caring for your Darbuka and keeping it in tune
- Guide to clay Darbukas
Includes Rhythm Pack 1
Rhythm Pack 1 contains 50 variations of some of the most popular Arabic Darbuka rhythms ever.
Level 2: Excellence in Performance
Develop your Darbuka skills by diving into the world of advanced ornamentation, allowing you to turn any rhythm into a Darbuka masterpiece.
- Introduction to ornamentation
- Advanced Darbuka strokes:
- The Pac
- The Glissando
- The Rizz
- The Bridge
- Advanced Darbuka ornaments:
- Rhythm entries
- Rhythm exits
- Choosing Darbuka rhythms
- Basic soloing
- Playing with music
- Playing with performers
- Playing with other drummers
- Confidence in performance
Includes Rhythm Pack 2
Rhythm Pack 2 contains 50 popular Darbuka rhythms from different regions around the world.
Level 3: Ascension to Mastery
Develop Master level Darbuka skills and learn advanced techniques such as Soloing and Turkish Split-Hand technique. Become a Darbuka Master.
- Finger style playing:
- The Arabic roll
- The finger flick
- The flam
- The Turkish roll
- Middle skin rolls
- Generic compositions
- Specific compositions
- Dealing with role-shift
- History of Turkish split-hand technnique
- Notable Darbuka masters of old
- Understanding role-shift in solo compositions
- Overlaps of percussive traditions from around the world
Includes Rhythm Pack 3
Rhythm Pack 3 contains 50 advanced and lesser known rhythms that will set you apart from the crowd.
Why should I learn to play the Darbuka?
Why should I learn with Malik Instruments?
What sets the Darbuka Mastery Program apart from other Darbuka courses?
Do I get a discount if I am already a Malik Instruments customer?
What if I don't already have a Darbuka?
How long will the full program take?
How thorough is the Darbuka Mastery Program?
Course Instructor: Ibraheem Malik
The Darbuka Mastery Program is taught primarily by Ibraheem Malik, Founder and Managing Director of Malik Instruments. He is a highly educated ex-accountant turned percussionist who is commited to spreading the love of music and percussion throughout the world.
Ibraheem has had many teachers, not only from London but around the world, and has gained a strong understanding of various musical and percussive disciplines. Ibraheem is a multi-instrumentalist, and always seeking out new instruments to play and learn. This varied experience comes through in his teaching style, which is to help the student become a well-rounded and capable musician, not just a Darbuka player.